The History Junior Certificate syllabus is of excellent quality and is certainly a very good basis for pupils who may be taking the Leaving Cert programme. However there is a lot to critique about the syllabus:
1. The Course covers way too much material in the three years. It goes all the way from the Stone Age up to the end of the Cold War. Surely this is too much information for any pupil to revise and fully comprehend for the Junior Cert.
2. There is too few sections that cover Irish History. Should there be a further focus on Irish History?
3. There are sections that are possibly too complex for Junior Cert pupils. (topics like The World Wars and the Cold War)
4. There is no project which ultimately means very little personal interaction with the subject.
5. And finally their is a lot of comprehension reading that does not necessarily relate to History. Section Two the document based questions is the classic example here.